Like many others, I’m not going back to my fitness center just yet. It’s becoming a little more difficult to get that good cardio workout in. Today I’m going to share what I’ve been trying out at home with you.
Unless you have a treadmill, an elliptical, or peloton at home - I needed to get creative. Here are the 5 fun things I’ve been doing the last few weeks -
- Hula-hooping: I have a 2 pound weighted hula-hoop and it’s been fun, almost meditative, I choose to do 30 minutes of hula-hoop to calming music. When I listen to faster paced music, I add in some 5 pound hand weights + add bicep curls. In fact, the Mayo Clinic reports that, on average, women can burn about 165 calories, and men 200 calories, during a 30-minute hooping session. Because this is an aerobic exercise it can lower your risk of heart disease and diabetes, improve cholesterol levels, improve brain function, and even reduce stress.
- Walking - I normally walk the stairs in your home. For me walking stairs is a great way to get my heart rate up. I put on my running shoes because I feel it helps my posture. If you don’t have stairs in your home another way could be to jump rope - if you jump rope I find it easier for jump on my yoga mat for some padding and also wear shoes for support.
- Boxing - I love boxing, it is a great stress reducer. I don’t have a heavy bag or a speed bag to hit but I shadow box and I have wrapped a pole in my back yard which I have pillows on that I can hit. It’s definitely fun and a great cardio and upper body workout.
- 3 Part Step Workout - Part one, knees high. Stand with your legs together and arms at your sides. Lift one knee toward your chest. Lower your leg and repeat with the other knee. Continue alternating knees, pumping your arms up and down. For more intensity, up the pace. Part 2 kick your butt, literally. Part 3 lateral shuffle, do 3 steps to the right, start with your left foot, move to the left. After 3 steps touch your toes, jump up then repeat on the right. I do 10 minutes of each part for a 30 minute workout.
- Dance - Yep put in some music and just dance 💃🏻 have fun and just let go.
Hope this helps bring something new to your at home workouts and let me know what you think!